Thursday, May 10, 2012

Well, what happened to you?

If you know me, then you know my kids.  And if you know them, what follows won't suprise you at all.  A couple of years ago, Jay and I were shopping in Target.  While waiting in line, he turns around to see/talk to/bug the person in line behind us.  It happens to be a mother and daughter.  The daughter is obviously injured, reclined in a wheelchair with a halo attatched to it.  Jay looks at her for a minute and then says, "Well.  What happened to you?"

I was mortified and fumbling for words, but the mother was very sweet and explained to Jay that her daughter had been in a car accident.  He listened for a minute, then said, "Huh.  Hope you feel better soon!"  And grinned at them.  I felt the need to explain that his uncle is in a wheelchair and that he just doesn't see it as a big deal.  I didn't know whether to be proud or embarrassed of my precocious four year old.  I'm thankful that my kids don't see their uncle as different.  He's pretty awesome and his chair honks and gives them rides.  What kid wouldn't love that??

I just read an article about my brother-in-law that made me smile.  (I'll post the link below, if you haven't read it, do it!)  When I started dating Pat, Dan and I had an immediate friendship.  Probably because we're about the same age, we liked a lot of the same music, and both had the same dumb sense of humor.  He has embarrassed me more than once in front of other various family members...and cracking me up while doing it.  The first time I met all their aunts, Dan asked if Pat and I had french kissed yet.  And should I mention that this was in a small hospital room, filled with people I'd never met, and that I turned so red that I looked like I had 3rd degree burns???

Another time when Jay was just a baby, Pat and I were having a disagreement about whether or not he should wear shoes.  I said that he couldn't walk, so there was no point in him wearing shoes.  Dan looks at me, doesn't crack a smile and says, "Well, Nicole.  I can't walk either, but I still wear shoes."  Deadpan.  Then him and Pat die laughing.  Hilarious. 

Thank you, Uncle Dan for making us laugh and inspiring us all in the same breath.  You rock.   Link to article about Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment