Friday, April 20, 2012

Hillbilly Happenings

The things we do for our children!!

I hate crowds.  I really hate crowds that smell bad.  I am terrified of ferris wheels.  TERRIFIED.  So how did I find myself in the middle of the smelliest, crowdedest (pretty sure that's not really a word) place in Pike Co??  My dang kids. 

First things first - I know that Hillbilly Days is a fundraising event for the Shriner's Hospital.  For that I am glad to support this craziness.  Shriners is a wonderful place that has helped so many children, several that I know personally.  So for that, and that alone, I try to embrace the madness that is Hillbilly Days.  I know this is making memories with my boys that they'll look back one day and appreciate.  Seriously, they'd better.  =)

My oldest, Jay, LOVES the carnival.  Loves it.  I, on the other hand, felt like I needed a tetnus shot by the time we left.  When he was just three years old he would say, "Mommy, the carnivale is coming!"  I had to break it to him gently, "Baby, this is Hillbilly Days.  It's not that fancy, it's just called a carnival."  I still laugh everytime I think about my super-excited little boy wanting to go to the carnivale!  This is how I ended up on a ferris wheel.  Lord, help me. 

I am terrified of heights.  I instantly have vertigo and see myself falling through the air.  My heart races and I start sweating.  However, I love roller coasters.  As long as I'm moving, I'm fine.  Ferris wheels terrify me.  Terrify.  Literally, I was shaking.  But I thought, time to face some fears for the sake of a little boy that will only be little once.  While we were waiting in line, the big, old rusty ride started to make some awful noises.  I was ready to bolt.  Jay just laughed.  The carnie even laughed at me.  Crap.  I'm getting laughed at by a seven year old and a carnie.  So, against my better judgement, I got on this death trap.  As we started moving upward, I was a little relieved.  It wasn't so bad.  The breeze felt nice.  Jay was smiling.  And we slowed down.  Then stopped.  Oh my word. 

The air quit moving.  And wouldn't you know it, Jay started coughing.  I screamed at him, "Stop coughing, don't move!  Don't breathe!!  Hang on!"  He just looked at me like I was crazy.  I'm holding on to the sides of the cart for dear life.  He wants to laugh, but knows better.  I was so relieved when that thing started moving again.  Jay finally started laughing and somehow that made this whole ordeal worth it. 

We paid $2 to look at some snakes, $18 for two corndogs and some fries, $5 for a snow cone that Henry promptly dropped on the ground, and $50 for carnival rides.  By the time we made it home, we were sunburned, filthy and tired.  Henry looked down at his legs and said, "Mom, I got all kinds of boo-boo's!"  No, honey.  That's just the $5 snow cone that splashed all up your leg.  =) 

All that said, we will probably go back next year.  I keep telling myself it's for the children.  Both mine and the Shriner's. 



No comments:

Post a Comment